Invisalign is a less-invasive alternative to traditional metal braces to get your teeth straightened out. It is not, however, the same things as braces, and therefore is not right for everyone. That being said, it may be the better product for you depending on a few key factors. Here are 5 reasons why Invisalign might be the right choice for you. If you think you might be a candidate for Invisalign talk to your orthodontist.
- Invisible Look: These aligners are invisible! Invisalign trays are made of clear plastic, so they aren’t noticeable when smile or open your mouth. This is likely something very important for teens and adults who care more about their appearance than children do.
- Ease of Eating: Getting traditional braces means that you have to avoid certain food items like gum, certain sticky candies, and most sticky food in general, or else some of those food scraps can get stuck in the wires and hinges of your braces. You don’t have to worry about any of that with Invisalign. If you’re at a party or need to chew a stick of gum, you can simply remove the aligners temporarily and eat whatever you want!
- Removable: If you, or your child, is active or in an after school activity, like sports or band, Invisalign is a convenient option. In sports, a bad fall can be made much worse with braces because the metal may cause extra abrasions inside the mouth. As with band, it’s rather difficult playing wind instruments with metal in your mouth. With Invisalign, you can just slide the trays out of your mouth and put them back in after the activity is over. Invisalign makes brushing your teeth, eating, and everyday life more convenient than braces.
- Ease of Maintenance: Braces and retainers are usually prescribed for more long-term treatments and require more maintenance, and can be more costly if they need changes or repairs. With Invisalign, that’s less of a problem since they only need to be maintained roughly every 6 weeks over what’s usually a 12 month period. Other options need more dentist appointments than that.
- Comfortable: Invisalign is made of clear plastic like previously stated, so none of the odd metal edges and points of braces, making it a much, much more comfortable option. More than that, since they are removable, everyday activities like brushing your teeth, eating, and flossing are a lot easier with Invisalign than braces.
Now that you have an idea about Invisalign, ask your orthodontist if it might be right for you.